December 27, 2013

Cruelty Free Fashion

 image

Do you see yourself as a nice person? Do you think you’re compassionate, caring & a good person in general? Would you ever hurt someone? How much did your bag cost? Your shoes? Your biker jacket? And your accessories - wallet, belt or gloves? You got them on sale? ”That’s so cheap for a leather bag”, that’s what you thought. For you it maybe didn’t cost much, but for someone else, it cost their life.


Maybe I am being a little radical here, but I can’t stay silent about it. I mean, leather looks great, it’s always on trend, people look at it as a must-have. I am sad that it took me twenty years to become a vegetarian. But it’s not only what you eat - it’s what you wear, what you think, say & do. I’ve made a promise to myself to never buy anything leather or fur ever again. It is sad that the majority of people don’t realize that we live in the 21st century and we don’t need to kill to survive. It’s not the middle ages when people used animal skins to stay warm during the harsh winters. But for some reason, people seem to think that they need to kill to look good. That they need to embellish themselves with skins and furs of animals, so others would think higher of them. Every time I see a rich woman in a fur coat my heart freezes or when I walk into any shoes store and realize that the majority of product is leather it really saddens me. I’m not going to tell anyone how to live their life, but I’m asking you to think to yourself for a second. Is it really ethical to buy something that was killed and put it on your own body. Is it right to wear something that was murdered just for the cause of making profit and making you satisfied. Does it make you feel like a good person? Does it make you happy?
image

As a vegetarian, I feel discriminated every day and not only in cafes and restaurants, but also in clothing & shoe stores. However, I do want to applaud brands like Stella McCartney & OlsenHaus for being green and making their choice cruelty free. But for some ever reason, the society have this negativity against vegans and vegetarians, like it’s something bad, something objectionable. But all that I want to do is to spread peace and I dream of peaceful coexistence for the human race and the animal world. If you agree with my opinion and this article makes at least a little bit sense to you, please share it so people would think for a second. I’ve made my choice - what’s yours?
image

No comments

Post a Comment

© BALT
Maira Gall