November 15, 2015

FASHION JOBS PART ONE | MUA | SIDORY



I am proud to introduce a new series of posts to BALT. As you can understand from the title it's gonna be something totally new - in the next couple of months we're gonna be exploring Fashion Jobs. What I hope to achieve from this is to not only get a better insight into the industry myself, but also to hopefully help some aspiring Makeup artists, Stylists or Designers to learn the specifics of the job they're interested in. And today I'm excited to introduce you to a very talented and successful Makeup artist from Washington DC - Sidory.



I found her on instagram while stalking some of AMTM's participants as she had done photoshoots with Nyle Dimarco and Justin Kim so to me she instantly seemed like this unreachable celebrity makeup artist. But as it turned out she's actually really nice and agreed to this interview right away.
Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_5Nyle Dimarco, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Tony Veloz

Growing up not all of us know what do we want to do and who do we want to become in life and just like me, Sidory learned it somewhere along the way. "I wanted to be a painter and artist after school. I soon realized that it wasn't going to pay the bills. I started working for makeup brands like Philosophy which is more a skincare brand and Mac Cosmetics back in the early years, Pre-Estee Lauder. I got really good in a short space of time and was quickly promoted to trainer in the mid Atlantic region of America." Now she's working as a freelance Makeup Artist, I wondered what a regular day on the job looks like and learned that the work starts even before meeting the actual client. "I have to go through my kit before any job and decide what supplies will be required on the job. The other things I have to consider is the amount of days will I be working on set, studio or on-location. The next step is making sure my kit is clean, stocked and ready to go." Once she's done all that, it's time to meet the client and it can be anyone - Photographer, Producer, Director, an Art Director or a Designer. "Once I get with the client and review the day's schedule. I set up my work station. Sometimes it's a table with a light and on a good day it's a big makeup room with a ton of light." But as it turns out not all of the clients are as thoughtful as they should be: "On the worse days, I am working outside for ten hours prepping talent or models in difficult weather. After set-up, talent, models or clients get brought into my area they sit down and prepare their make-up and grooming." After the models are ready, she packs a small kit for touch-ups and changes: "Depending on the type of job I am doing, I may be required to change up or reset a look right away on set. Once we wrap-up for the day, I simply pack up my gear and leave." Sounds like a lot of work!
Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_2For "Lucy's" Magazine, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Monica True

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_3Sidory on set

I was eager to find out what she likes the most about her job, she revealed that it's the people: "What I love most about being a make-up artist is I get to connect with people from all walks of life. I get to share that experience with them." Also I was wondering what kind of education is needed to work as a MUA and was delighted to hear that she's self taught: "I self taught myself while working in the field. I had to decide quickly if I was going to sink or swim. While working with these companies I had many opportunities that shaped my career. I took on more freelance jobs and a decade and years later, here I am." She admits that having an artist background has helped her excel in the industry. "I don't know if make-up can be taught effectively in school. Learning comes from doing. There are many types of make- up applications required for different media platforms. Film make- up is different from Print make-up. You have to know how make-up translates in those different platforms. I believe you also must learn how to do make-up on everyone. Not just yourself. Every client is different, without that knowledge you cannot do your best work."
Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_11Nyle Dimarco, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Tony Veloz

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_9For "Mod" magazine, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Monica True

As it's a very creative profession,I wanted to find out where does she find her inspiration from. "I get inspiration from everywhere. It starts with music and the stories that they tell. I think my beauty aesthetic comes from people and things that are very visual." And don't worry, I also asked her for any advice for all of you aspiring Makeup Artists: "The best advice I can give an aspiring make-up artist is don't be afraid to learn and become good before wanting to make tons of money or become famous. Learn your market before building your book. You don't get clients until you figure what that is." Hear that kids? Those are some #wisewords, success doesn't happen overnight, it's hard work.

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_10
Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_4Behind the scenes with Jusin Kim, Photo by Tony Veloz

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_7For "Factice" Magazine, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Tony Veloz

Being a style blogger myself, I was really eager to know what is the local streetstyle like in Washington DC. As I've never been to the US, the only impression I have of Washington DC comes from binge watching House of Cards, god I miss that show! Sidory reveals that it's no fashion capital and the streetstyle is mostly a combination of conservative and minimalist. "What you will see here is three piece suits and the little black dress. On the other side of that is, DC was once the birth place of hardcore punk music like Bad Brains, Black Flag, Fugazi and Minor Threat. You can still see the the odd skinhead skateboarder style still doing it's thing that is distinctly D.C." And of course I was eager to find out her views on fashion and to her it's all about writing our own stories. "We get to express ourselves anyway we want and we can do this through fashion. The other cool thing is, history gets to repeat itself through fashion."
Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_12Behind the scenes with Justin Kim, Photo by Tony Veloz

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_6Makeup, Grooming, Beauty writing and blogging for "Stark Mag", Photo by Tony Veloz

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_8Sidory

Balt_Oldwood_Fashion_Jobs_Part_1_Makeup_Artist_Sidory_Interview_1For "Lucy's" Magazine, Makeup by Sidory, Photo by Monica True

I hoped you enjoyed getting to know Sidory and maybe this will help you to make a career decision. What you may not know is that I've also held a Makeup brush in my hands on several occasions. I used to go to beauty school and Makeup was something I had to learn, I enjoyed it, but didn't pursue it further. But as it turns out, you don't have to go to beauty school to become a successful MUA, just as long you really want it and put your heart into it, you'll do it!

Be sure to follow Sidory on instagram to keep up with her amazing work and stay tuned for the next post in the series, let's explore the industry together!

No comments

Post a Comment

© BALT
Maira Gall